Number of Accounts opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
Posted On: 08 FEB 2021, Delhi
As reported by Public Sector Banks (PSBs) [including sponsored Regional Rural Banks (RRBs)] and 14 major Private Sector Banks, as on 27.01.2021, a total number of 41.75 crore accounts have been opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) out of which 35.96 crore accounts are operative.
This was stated by Shri Anurag Singh Thakur, Union Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
Under the Pradhan Mantri Jan-DhanYojana (PMJDY) a bank account can be opened with any bank branch or Business Correspondent (BC) including those of Private Sector Banks.
The Minister further stated that total number of PMJDY accounts opened by PSBs (including sponsored RRBs) and 14 major Private Sector Banks are 40.48 crore and 1.27 crore respectively.
Giving more details, the Minister stated that accounts opened under PMJDY are Basic Savings Bank Deposit (BSBD) accounts. As per RBI guidelines dated 10.06.2019, banks are required to offer the following minimum banking facilities, free of charge, to the BSBD account holders, without any requirement of minimum balance:
- Deposit of cash at bank branch as well as ATMs/CDMs
- Receipt/ credit of money through any electronic channel or by means of deposit /collection of cheques drawn by Central/State Government agencies and departments
- No limit on number and value of deposits that can be made in a month
- Minimum of four withdrawals in a month, including ATM withdrawals
- ATM Card or ATM-cum-Debit Card